Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

"Hillbilly" Is A Cultural And Ethnic Epithet

 I suppose that with a title like the one above the first thing I should do is give you a definition for the word "epithet".  The website dictionary.com gives this definition of "epithet" which I believe is the most appropriate for our purposes here: "a word, phrase, or expression used invectively as a term of abuse or contempt, to express hostility, etc." And, as bad as I hate to have to, I suspect I should also give a definition for the word "invective".  The website dictionary.com gives this definition of "invective": vehement or violent denunciation, censure, or reproach;  a railing accusation; vituperation; an insulting or abusive word or expression."  While it might still be fairly common for natives of Central and Southern Appalachia as well as the Ozark Region to sometimes use the term "hillbilly" about themselves, it is also generally understood that the use of the word of the word to refer to such residents will usually result in its being interpreted as being insulting, abusive, a reproach, a censure, or an accusation. Other cultural, ethnic, or racial epithets are also sometimes used by members of the groups they denigrate and defame but, just like "hillbilly", those words are rarely accepted by members of those groups when use by outsiders and they should never be accepted or even used by members of those groups.  In my mind, the word "hillbilly" is no different from, just as defamatory, and just as damaging as any of those other words: the "k" word, the "q" word, the "n"word, the "f" word, or the "c" word.  These words all fall within a class of language which should never be used any more than the more common, but less defamatory, curse words should be used.  Being a member of the particular group in question does not make it any more acceptable for you to use those words than it does for a stranger.  

I have recently located a nineteen year old doctoral dissertation from Lousiana State University by Dr. Laura Grace Patillo entitled Appalachia on Stage: the *Southern Mountaineer in American Drama which due to its length (379 pages) I have not completed.  But the dissertation is intriguing for its content and intention to address the "scripting of America's hillbilly other" as well as for its dedication to "a strong Appalachian woman of faith, patience, and wisdom".  I firmly believe that if more native Appalachians such as Dr. Patillo, myself, and the mentors who taught us to seek positive self image instead of accepting cultural epithets and assumptions about us all natives of Central and Southern Appalachia would have benefited both directly and indirectly.  Without having ever known Dr. Patillo or her work, it is obvious to me that she was raised and mentored by the kind of Appalachian people who sought to emulate our strong, ambitious, and self-sufficient forbears and to pass those qualities on to every person they met in some direct or indirect fashion.  

I have also been able to locate a second refreshingly positively entitled doctoral dissertation by Dr. Casey R. White at South Dakota State University which states its intentions in the title:  "REDNECKS AND HILLBILLIES: A THEMATIC ANALYSIS OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF PRIDE AND HIGH SELF-ESTEEM EXHIBITED BY SOUTHERN CHARACTERS".   Its stated intent to examine the "construction of pride and self-esteem exhibited by southern characters" is exactly what I hoped to engender with this blog post.  I hope to be able to read both these dissertations fully and to report on them succinctly in later blog posts.  

I have also frequently directed others interested in the public image of native Appalachians to watch the AppalShop movie "Strangers And Kin: A History Of The Hillbilly Image".  It is an excellent and timeless examination of the creation and proliferation of the negative image of Appalachian people as "hillbillies".  In a sidelight to this discussion, I am also reminded of a former supervisor I worked under as a mental health therapist in a juvenile treatment facility.  This person was a native of Mount Sterling, Kentucky, and I will never forget the conversation in which he informed that he did not believe that there was such a thing as an Appalachian Culture.  When we consider the Appalachian Culture in the light of the commonly recognized elements of culture, it is strikingly clear that few cultures anywhere more clearly meet those elements.  Religion, Art, Politics, Language, Economy, Customs, Society, and Geography are listed among those key factors in culture on the website Quizlet.  As we examine each of those listed elements we learn that religion in Appalachia is strikingly unique with Old Regular Baptists, Freewill Baptists, Holiness, Primitive Baptists, and Serpent Handlers all being key segments of religion in Appalachia.  Appalachia is also the home of a truly unique group of folk artists including Edgar and Donny Tolson, Minnie Adkins, and Tim Lewis.  The language of Appalachia is also incredibly unique and traces its roots directly to the British Isles of the 15th and 16th centuries.  

If you are a native Appalachian, be proud of your heritage.  Do not allow anyone to denigrate, defame, or demoralize you because you are Appalachian.  Speak out both verbally and in writing in defense of the Appalachian Culture and history.  

     

2 comments:

The Budding Homesteader said...

Hi there! There's a website that tells me whenever someone cites or mentions my dissertation and that's how I ended up here. I'm Dr. Casey White you mentioned and it's very nice to see others are finding my dissertation to read. I'd love to see what you get out of it if you end up writing another blog post.

I've always been fascinated by words and how they change over time and their meanings. When I did my dissertation, being from Tennessee, I was fascinated by the words hillbilly and redneck. Historically, they were insults and in some scholarly research were comparable to racial slurs at one time which is something you mention above. Interestingly, I had to put a disclaimer in my dissertation when I said this because we now live in an extreme PC culture where people might get ticked off by someone saying any insults directed to white individuals can be comparable to racial slurs. Being from Appalachia and seeing mountain poverty and poor "hillbilly" culture firsthand I can make the argument easily but I'm drifting from my purpose in commenting :).


Over time the words hillbilly and redneck became more complex. Today capitalism is a big part of those words and stereotypes attached to them are big business. The point of my dissertation was to also discuss how in modern times these words could have positive meanings where on television the modern day hillbilly and redneck could be a billionaire with good family values and Christian morals. There's so much you could talk about just looking at the words hillbilly and redneck. Anyways, I thought I'd leave you a comment of encouragement since you ran across my dissertation. I think your blog is pretty neat and on a great subject I'm pretty passionate about. Keep up the good work.

Roger D. Hicks said...

Dr. White:
I just found your comment on my blog post in which I mentioned your dissertation. I still have to admit that I haven't read the dissertation fully but intend to do so. I found it on Encompass which I am able to access free from the website of Eastern KY University although I have no connection to the university. I appreciate the response. I assume you know that the term "redneck" arose as a result of the Battle of Blair Mountain in WV. I was fortunate enough to know Bill Blizzard whose father Bill Blizzard led the UMWA miners at Blair Mountain and was charged with sedition and a variety of other crimes along with several others of his associates, tried and acquitted at Harper's Ferry. When Bill the younger died, mourners at his memorial service wore red bandanas in memory of both his work and that of his father. Bill the younger had been fired by the Charleston Gazette because he refused to cross a pressmen's picket line during a strike. The miners at Blair Mountain wore red bandanas to differentiate themselves from the Baldwin Felts gun thugs and thus arose the term "redneck" which has long since been relegated to negativity. If you wish to converse more directly, my e-mail is rchicks@mrtc.com Where are you working now? And where are you from in TN? Have you ever seen the AppalShop movie I mention above, "Strangers and Kin: A History of the Hillbilly Image"? I also assume you know the origin of the Appalachian State University mascot Yosef. And how on earth did you end up doing a Ph.D. in the Dakotas?

Roger Hicks