Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Appalachian Christmas Hospitality


Dried Apple Stack Cake Photo by Roger D. Hicks


Yesterday, my wife Candice and I went to a neighbor's house whom we had just met a few weeks ago when some Mennonite friends of ours recommended her to do some sewing for Candice.  She is eighty years old, as of today, December 18, 2018, which is her birthday.  She still lives alone, works on some project nearly every day of her life, is deeply involved in the community, and seems to be able to do nearly anything.  Although she only lives about 12 miles from our house we had never met her and she actually was married to a distant cousin of mine for a few years.  But to get to the real point of the story, she had told Candice on the phone that she wanted to bake us a dried apple stack cake as a gift.  Candice has never eaten dried apple stack cake and immediately accepted.

Dandelion Honey Photo by Roger D. Hicks

When we got to the woman's house, I knocked on the door and she brought me into the kitchen where she had three freshly baked dried apple stack cakes on the kitchen table in identical plastic cake plates.  She handed me ours and we had a talk about how she does some gifts like this for people she knows every year.  She feels a commitment, which is an old Appalachian custom to give freely to others.  She also regularly still does presentations in the local schools about the old customs and folkways of Appalachia.  She also asked if Candice was in the van and followed me outside to talk a while.  During the course of the conversation, she talked about everything she cooks and cans which ranges from the commonplace to the more unusual and brought up what she calls "Dandelion Honey" which is not dandelion jelly or dandelion wine. Dandelion honey isn't honey made by bees, but rather it is really dandelion syrup made with the flowers and sugar. I have to admit that I haven't tried any of these treats yet but will do so today.  I have heard from someone else who knows this woman that her "Dandelion Honey" is wonderful and I will freely admit that it is beautiful to look at in the jar.  So is her "Elderberry Jelly" which I have had from other sources on many occasions in the past

Dandelion Honey, Dried Apple Stack Cake, and Elderberry Jelly Photo by Roger D. Hicks

But for me, the real point to this gift of three unique and wonderful food items is the fact that it is one of the oldest aspects of Appalachian Culture in practice, generosity.  On another occasion I have written on this blog about Appalachian generosity and hospitality.


Elderberry Jelly-- Photo by Roger D. Hicks


I have found that hospitality and generosity in every state in Central and Southern Appalachia over the last 65 years.  I have been invited into the homes of strangers for meals.  I have been assisted on the side of the road when I have had car trouble.  In my younger days, I was often picked up by kind strangers when I was hitchhiking.  But I will say openly that such hospitality is less and less frequent in Appalachia today.  We are becoming more like most of the rest of this country and less hospitable, less freely generous, less willing to lend a hand.  And that is a sad state of affairs!  But, Thank God, I found a wonderful example of that generosity and hospitality yesterday! 


****************************************************************************
UPDATE: September 25, 2019

The Jesse Stuart Foundation has just released a new book called "True Christmas Stories From The Heart Of Appalachia" and it includes my story, "Christmas On Beaver Creek", along with stories by Jesse Stuart, Cratis Williams, Bill Best, and my two good friends Edwina Pendarvis and Emily Steiner. It has 43 stories from 39 different authors. I have a few copies with my autograph and a personal inscription for whomever you choose which are available at the same price the publisher charges for unautographed copies.  They are $25.00 each plus $3.00 shipping which is what the publisher has set as the price.  I will accept payment through PayPal at rchicks@mrtc.com   You can contact me at Roger D. Hicks, 65, Highway 1081, West Liberty, KY 41472,606-743-2087, or e-mail at rchicks@mrtc.com  Merry Christmas!



No comments: