Search This Blog

Monday, February 12, 2024

James River Region in Coastal Virginia


 As I mentioned in an earlier post about Virginia Colonial Governor Berkeley, I have been reading a surprisingly wonderful book by Bob Deans called "The River Where America Began: A Journey Along The James".  While the book is about the history of the settlement of the James River Region in Coastal Virginia and the role it played in the early history of colonial America and the American Revolution, Deans also periodically provides his own insightful examinations of the history of democracy in America.  The short section of the book which I quote below is one of the most pertinent of those insightful examinations. 

2 comments:

jorghahaq said...

I was just looking through your blog and was looking for contact information and couldn't find any. I hate leaving a comment here in hopes that you get back to me, but I am not sure what else to do.

I am a folklore student at George Mason University. One of the classes I am currently taking is called Appalachia Folklore. In doing research for my term project (the subject is Appalachian folklore vs. folklore about Appalachia and the commodification of those things in hillbilly horror. I might be interested in talk to you if you are willing.

Roger D. Hicks said...

jorghahaQ:
I have been offline for a few days and just saw your comment. Yes, I would be willing to talk to you. I would like to say first of all that "hillbilly" is a cultural and ethnic pejorative. But you can send me an e-mail at rchicks@mrtc.com
Roger Hicks, M. Ed.